Sheep Program Details
Most of the CAEP sheep programs take place in New South Wales, Victoria, Tasmania, South Australia, and Western Australia. Through an Australian sheep training program, you will gain hands-on experience with pasture-fed animals. As a sheep program participant, you will gain hands-on experience in lambing, care, the feeding of livestock, docking (tailing), and more! The animals live outside, and are pasture fed all year round, supplemented with hay & silage. Lambing takes place from July to October depending on location in Australia.
October to April
Some of the skills learned on this program may include:
- Maintenance and repair of farm machinery
- Care and feeding of sheep
- Ration balancing
- Harvesting and drying of crops
- Exposure to the Australian way of life and business
- Marketing of crops and livestock
- Operation of farm machinery and on road vehicles
- Seed, fertilizer, and crop protection decisions
- Herd health management
- Herd management
*Actual skills learned will vary by placement and previous experience.