We put learning to work!

Exchange Visitor FAQ

Benefits of a CAEP Program
Who Can Participate?
What is a Cultural Exchange Program?
What is an Outbound Program?
What is a Domestic Apprentice?
Build a Career with CAEP
Estimated Program Fees
What About Sickness and Accident Insurance?
What If I Cancel?

Benefits of a CAEP Program:

  • Experience and improve your agriculture skills
  • Gain communication skills to prepare for a globalized world
  • Work in new environments
  • Improve your language and communication skills
  • Participate in cultural and social activities
  • Exchange ideas about agriculture with your hosts
  • Learn about agricultural technology, management, marketing, and finance in your host country
  • Make new friends


Who Can Participate?

To participate on a CAEP program, you must meet the following requirements:

  • Be between the age of 18 and 28 when your program begins (Enology program between the age of 21 to 35)
  • Have an interest in gaining experience in agriculture
  • Have an interest in learning about another culture and sharing your home culture with people in your hosting community
  • Have the maturity to live in a foreign country, away from your family and friends, and you can adapt to a different lifestyle and live together with people who have different beliefs and values
  • Have no legal problems
  • Be able to speak and understand English well enough to learn about the culture and agriculture during your program
  • Be in good health


What is a Cultural Exchange?

Training programs are designed to allow foreign professionals to come to the hosting country to gain exposure to the host's culture and to receive training in agriculture business practices in their chosen field.

Some countries like the U.S. allow for travel time before and after the program.

Exchange visitor visa requirements to the U.S.:

A trainee must be a foreign national who:

  • Has an agriculture degree or professional certificate from a foreign post-secondary academic institution or a certificate from a nationally recognized accredited agency and at least one year of prior applicable work experience in his or her occupational field outside the United States


  • Has five years of agriculture work experience outside the United States in the occupational field in which they are seeking training

Interns must be foreign nationals:

  • Who is currently enrolled in and pursuing studies at an agriculture degree- or certificate-granting post-secondary academic or nationally recognized accredited institution outside the United States


  • Who have graduated from such an institution no more than 12 months before their program start date


What is an Outbound program?

CAEP’s outbound program is for citizens of the USA desiring to go to another country.

Qualifications for a CAEP Outbound program:

  • One year of domestic experience in agriculture


  • Documented experience or education in your chosen program


  • For European placements, you must be within two years of graduation


What is a Domestic Apprentice?

CAEP’s Domestic Apprentice Program is for citizens of the U.S. desiring to do an apprenticeship in the USA.

Qualifications for a CAEP Domestic Apprentiship program:

  • Domestic 2 or 4-year students who are looking for a validated internship in their current field of study


  • Qualified individuals who have a strong desire for learning skills within their chosen field through hands-on participation and validation


  • Incumbent workers who are looking to expand their careers through further education and work experience in other related employment


Build a Career with CAEP

CAEP’s philosophy is “We Put Learning to Work.”  What is the number one item that you need on your resume? Schooling, Computer literacy? Well, all of these things will help you to establish a strong foundation for future employment. Your practial expreince gained with CAEP however, will separate you from the rest!

CAEP Training Programs are unique because we rigorously document skills throughout the program.   You and the host will validates these skills, then CAEP will create a resume which will show the skills learned from your personal training plan and when they were completed.


How do I apply?

  • Decide which CAEP program best fulfills your goals
  • Read through all of the program information
  • Determine which country you would like to experience
  • Begin the application process by clicking the “Apply Now” button on the main page or any of the program pages


Estimated Program Fees

The program fees include all country partner and CAEP fees and can vary from country to country. CAEP program fees include application processing, placement, pre-departure preparations, program monitoring, orientation, and other assistance during the program.

Government Fees:

Fees may vary from country to country.

For the United States, you will have a SEVIS fee of $220, and embassy appointment fee of $160.


Travel to your placement site is the participant’s responsibility.

If you have any other questions regarding fees for a CAEP program, please contact your country partner or CAEP staff members.


What About Sickness and Accident Insurance?

All CAEP participants are required to have sickness and accident insurance for the program duration. We strongly suggest to add insurance while traveling.


What if I cancel?

If you cancel your program or are denied a visa, the following applies:

Generally, government and visa fees are non-refundable.

For the United States, if you cancel the program after you have accepted the proposed program by CAEP, or the U.S. consulate is not able to issue a visa to you, the $450 cancellation fee applies.

There are no refunds once you have arrived at your placement country though excess insurance premiums may be refunded upon request.