Laboratory Training Program Details
As a Laboratory Training Program EV, you will have the chance to learn how to collect and analyze vineyard samples to determine the ripeness and assess the quality of the vineyard grapes. CAEP Laboratory Training Programs may include participation in monitoring primary fermentation and the sampling of barrels and tanks, as well as lab cleaning, proper pipetting, proper measurement, sample de-gassing and general sample preparation. During the Laboratory Training Program, there will be continuous analysis data entry into the computer. You will also prepare samples for analysis. Laboratory Training Program EVs are expected to help maintain the laboratory and its equipment.
During the late harvest, Laboratory Training Program EVs may focus on new enzymatic procedures. Learning how to examine wine for the presence of spoilage yeast and bacteria may also be learned. Laboratory Training Program EVs may conduct fining trials and also participate in some tasting evaluations.
This program can include:
- Juice to wine analysis
- Data interpretation
- Data entry
- Wine microorganisms
- Wine making
Mid-August through mid-December to coincide with crush time (depending on location).
Some of the skills learned on this program may include:
- Identify and perform sampling procedures
- Identify and perform juice and wine analysis procedures
- Identify and perform nutrient additions and yeast inoculations
- Understand and monitor bottling line and cork quality assurance
- Sample and analyze aging wine
- Understand and interpret calculations
- Identify and input data from laboratory analysis
- Identify and practice laboratory safety procedures
*Actual skills learned will vary by placement and previous experience