Top Questions About the CAEP Enology Program

The 2023 Northern Hemisphere harvest will be here before we know it. Wineries across the USA are looking for the most talented and dedicated trainees and interns to join their winery families! If you have questions about consulate applications and our services for traveling winemakers, email or check out some top questions below! 

1. What is the length of the cultural exchange trainee/intern visa, and can I take some extra time to travel and explore the culture after harvest?

A cultural exchange trainee/intern visa allows you to enter the United States for a minimum of three months and stay a maximum of 12. Winery training positions typically range from three to four months. After completing the program, the J-1 visa allows you to travel in the United States for 30 days before returning home.

2. Where is the location of the winery I could be placed at?

CAEP works with hundreds of wineries across the United States, and we do our best to accommodate your preferred placement. CAEP also will assist with any questions you may have in regard to your consulate application and appointments.

3. How much time does it take to process my visa?

Getting an appointment at an American Embassy depends on the country. Some countries can take appointments immediately, and others are booking several weeks out. All in all, we recommend you begin the application process early.

4. Tell me about housing? Where will I live while I am in the United States?

CAEP winery hosts do their best to assist you with finding housing, and some even provide housing near the winery.

5. What is the cost of the CAEP program?

This year we are offering a special price point of $1844.00.  This will include the CAEP fees, the US government SEVIS fee, and four months of health insurance.  If the program is longer than four months, you will need to purchase extra coverage at $156.00 per month.  Our early bird special to save up to $500 ends April 30, so make sure to apply early!

6. Am I required to have health insurance during my time in the United States?

Yes. All cultural exchange trainees and interns are required to carry health insurance from the day they leave their home country until the day they return home. CAEP offers a low-cost, comprehensive policy option to trainees and interns, which is included in their program fees.

7. How do I apply?

Visit our website to begin the application process! If you have any questions about the CAEP Program, visa processing, or seeking placement with a winery, please email


International Training Program Opportunities for Students and Professionals A CAEP international training program gives you the opportunity to gain valuable work experience while learning a new culture in another part of the world! Whether you are seeking vocational training to enhance your existing skills, or you wish to prepare yourself for a job in agriculture, horticulture, enology, equine or western equine, CAEP has a wide variety of international training programs sure to match your needs. Choose from opportunities in the United States, Canada, New Zealand, Australia, Italy, and more! Young people around the world are talking about how international training programs are life-changing. Filled with travel and adventure, new knowledge and lifelong friends, international training programs offer real, hands-on experiences that are validated for universities and future employers. Don’t wait! Register today to get started on your experience of a lifetime!