Top Five Questions About the J-1 Visa and Enology Program

The 2018 harvest in the Northern Hemisphere will be here before we know it and wineries across the USA are looking for the most talented and dedicated trainees and interns to join their winery families! If you have questions about visa processing and our program, we have compiled a list of the top five J-1 Visa and program questions!

1. What is the length of the J-1 Visa and can I take some extra time to travel after harvest?

A  J-1 visa allows you to enter the United States for a minimum of three months and stay a maximum of 12. Winery positions typically range from three to four months. Following completion of the program, the J-1 visa allows you to travel the United States for 30 days before returning home.

2. Where is the location of the winery I could be placed at?

CAEP works with hundreds of wineries across the United States and we do our best to accommodate your preferred placement.  CAEP also offers visa-processing assistance to participants who have already been pre-placed at a winery.

3. How much time does it take to process my visa?

Getting an appointment at an American Embassy depends on the country. Some countries can take appointments immediately and others are booking several weeks out. All in all, we recommend you beginning the application process early.

4. Tell me about housing? Where will I live while I am in the United States?

CAEP does it’s best to assist you with finding housing. We have compiled a list of tremendous resources to assist with the search and can help answer any questions you may have about the area you may be staying in.

5. What is the cost of the CAEP program?

The program fees include government fees, visa processing, health insurance, tax preparation and 24/7 support during your stay in the United States. Don’t forget, our early bird special to save up to $700 ends May 31!

6. Am I required to have health insurance during my time in the United States?

Yes. All J-1 visa holders are required to carry health insurance from the day they leave their home country until the day they return home. CAEP offers a low-cost, comprehensive policy option to trainees and interns which is included in their program fees.

7. Taxes are confusing. What do I need to have done to complete my taxes? 

J-1 visa holders are required to pay state and federal taxes. CAEP program fees include tax preparation. Phew!

8. How do I apply?

Visit our website to begin the application process!

If you have any other questions regarding the J-1 Visa, CAEP or our enology program, please feel free to email!


International Training Program Opportunities for Students and Professionals A CAEP international training program gives you the opportunity to gain valuable work experience while learning a new culture in another part of the world! Whether you are seeking vocational training to enhance your existing skills, or you wish to prepare yourself for a job in agriculture, horticulture, enology, equine or western equine, CAEP has a wide variety of international training programs sure to match your needs. Choose from opportunities in the United States, Canada, New Zealand, Australia, Italy, and more! Young people around the world are talking about how international training programs are life-changing. Filled with travel and adventure, new knowledge and lifelong friends, international training programs offer real, hands-on experiences that are validated for universities and future employers. Don’t wait! Register today to get started on your experience of a lifetime!